Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cannondale Warranty FAIL

Just as an update to this - for those that are interested.  First - it's great that Cannondale Australia have read my blog, it is just a pity about the customer service they show.  Prior to the Noosa Triathlon, I took my bike in for a service, and was notified by the mechanics that they wouldn't service the bike as they believed there was a crack in the frame.  I then took the bike up to Noosa (raced on it) and also showed the staff at Cannondale (they had a stand at the expo).  Both Cannondale staff members informed me that they also thought the frame had a crack in it - and it was an area that frames often crack and that I should take my bike to the local Cannondale dealer in Melbourne (the bike shop where I purchased the bike, King of the Mountain Cyclery went bankrupt in 2011).

The two mechanics in the local shop also agreed that the bike had a crack in it and that agreed that it would not be serviceable due to the duty of care they have.

To my amazement, Cannondale Australia rejected the bike and said the crack was likely to be a paint crack (which I'd be ok with, if three bike mechanics, from two shops, and two of their own staff hadn't advised me not to ride the bike as it was cracked).

Further to this point (and completely contradicting their statements on the paint), I was advised that Cannondale Australia had read my blog, and decided that I was not in possession of my bike for over two years.  There were no questions asked of me about this, just simply a broad assumption that the time between posts on this site was the time I didn't have my bike.  For Cannondale Australia, the bike was out of my hands for a little over three months, at which time the bike was not ridden (Queensland police interviewed the person trying to sell the bike who signed a statement saying that the bike had not been ridden while in his possession).

So the moral of the story, Cannondale will effectively void warranties for bikes that are not in the owner's hand 100% of the time.  I look forward to the VCAT hearings (and will keep posting) and I guess that new matte black SuperSix Evo I was looking at, just became a Trek Madone 7.9...



No comments:

Post a Comment